Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sand and Water

(A poem written while Rita and I visited Omaha Beach in Normandy, France this spring. The situation is fictitious, by the way. We were tired, but not 'warring'.)



She and I came warring to this beach of our fathers’ generation,
A place of ocean sand a world afar, a time too far too far away,
When hating hate fused man to machine in tragic and scheming play;
Old Fortinbras' revenge renewed, inglorious for ev’ry nation.

Here, bloodied waters wash healing salts ashore, ne’er anemic, ever fading;
Memories vicarious give context to mine, shrouded in muted powers;
And, bone-white sentinels of cross and star stand for eternal hours,
Invoking God’s honor in borrowed nave, peace and promise persuading.

Her sandied feet bruised and wearied press this Norman earth now new;
Prints of heal and toe o’erlay the booted soles inclined toward death,
Liberating her, convicting me while entwining our envisionous breath:
Lo, the saviors up dying dune in duty, in love, they submit for me.

I kneel to wash her feet; a friend, a mate more sacred than before,
Beatified bride unveiled by crucified pride to love and war no more.

2 comments:

Cary said...

awesome.
i need to write more poetry. I keep wanting to write music for my guitar playing but end up frustrated. Maybe the words ought to come first.

Thanks D. So far (yes...so far), your posts have been very enlightening. I thorougly enjoy reading your thoughts.

I think I can feel your genius working its way back into my brain again.

Yes!

Cary said...

hey d--
i changed my address, since i'm going to be teaching middle school next year.

hatewaslegend.blogspot.com

Hope you're well man! it's been great reading your writing :)
word out!

PS. you ought to invite Rogers, if you want to. I don't know if you guys still talk much anymore, but hey...just sayin' :)

PPS. This is Cary, just in case you couldn't figure it out!